A Freak Out Moment

So my mom keeps my dogs during the day while I'm at work. She will stop by my house once I'm home to drop them off when she goes out to do the chores, and usually rings my door bell to let me know they are on the back porch. So last night, she did that except door bell didn't ring-maybe due to the cold. I just happened to hear the screen porch slam close on her way out. So I go out to investigate and yup, there's the little white dogs looking at me and doing their happy-to-see-you-dance. They get excited as they normally do and as I go to open the door, Riley starts screaming bloody murder. I mean, really screaming her head off. Ear breaking, heart wrenching, adrenaline pumping screams. I throw the door open and see she's got her foot stuck between the door frame and the flooring below it (the house is 90 years old and has settled so they don't match up totally). We are all totally freakin out cause I can't get her foot out. Eventually I figure out to push down on the flooring to make enough space to get her foot out. She hobbles around, holding her paw in the air and whimpers for minutes after that. I tell you, my heart was breaking and adrenaline was pumping! Oh my gosh! Still thinking about those horrible screams now. . .it was awful. She still hobbles around on it for a couple more minutes. I run and get her a baby aspirin in hopes that it will keep any swelling down and ease the soreness. She wouldn't let me touch it for a little while but she hates having her feet touched any ways so this didn't totally surprise me. After a half hour, all was forgotten and she decides to jump off the bed, about giving me another heart attack cause it's really high and onto hardwood floors. So all is right again in the world and I'm definitely gonna have to do something about that gap beneath the door, though I'd be surprised if that ever happened again cause she's gonna be super leary of it from now on.

0 comments: