CISSC Trial Jan 9-10, 2010

Well, a good way to start off the agility year. We haven't been to a trial in over a month and were beginning to have symptoms of withdraw. ;) It's also a great time of the year to have it so the dogs can get out of the house during the winter and stretch their legs. Of course, weather can always be an issue in January in the Midwest but we lucked out this past weekend and while it may be a stretch to say it was pleasant, at least it wasn't too bad when you had to go outside.
Lisa Potts put out some very nice courses this weekend. It's wonderful to come across a weekend when all the courses have fairly nice flow. It was kind of a rough summer with courses-challenges, yes are necessary but can't we get a bit of flow in there too? Had a couple of prime examples (not to name any names--Dan Dege, the Robinson's). The average competitor is out there to have a good time, enjoy the company of friends both human and canine and is not trying out for the world team. However, many courses seem to be geared to a higher level of competition. And that's fine but it can be a little. . .daunting & demotivating, to say the least to us average smoes. Anyways, I heard many many people come off the course this weekend saying "Man, that was fun" and it just lifts the mood of the whole event & there is a certain party atmosphere when people feel good about the courses. That is really what the whole sport is about & I love that!
Anyways, Riley has been in rare form recently. I'm not sure where this drive has come from all of a sudden but I'm not going to question it. Maybe it's the fact that Rhys provides a little motivation, or maybe my handling is finally giving her what she needs or maybe she just is getting a high from running fast. I don't know, and truthfully, I don't care but I LOVE to see it. It cracks me up big time. Mostly cause she expresses her excitement in these little growls and rowfs that no one else can hear but me while we run. I've asked a number of people if they can hear her when she goes by and apparently she's not that loud to be heard by the crowd but every now and then in practice where it's quieter, Liz just gets a chuckle when Riley runs past going "grr, grr, grr". She had a really nice weekend, Qing 3 for 4 runs with all 4th place finishes. Just out of the multiplier but still placing is a big accomplisment for us. All the dogs that placed before her are Invitational/National competitors and have their MACHS too. She was tics of a second behind Jane Glier's Cait, which has kind of been my local benchmark so Riley has really kicked it up over the past few months. I'd like to say the handling work with Jen Crank is helping me understand what she needs from me to do her job. At least I'm understanding what my flaying limbs are suppose to be doing. . .whether they cooperate or not is another question. Also whether I'm in the location I need to be or not is debatable at times too. She really likes me to do front crosses and I can get them in. However, I tend to be out of position and feel like I'm going to take out jumps/sandbags/and one occasional teeter. But we're getting there. . .I think so, at least (can't be any worse than I already was, right). So Sunday racked up double Q number 8, and quite a few points too (at least compared to other trials).
Oh the little Rhysy-bear. . .what to do with him? ;) Love-of-my-life, cute as a button, smart as heck, but a complete goof some days. ;) Saturday he was a pokey butt, but I really expected that after sitting in the crate from 7:30 in the morning till about 3:15. Poor guy. He was slow but clean on his JWW run, and while over time, he still Q'd and finished his NAJ. Agility title #2 for him.
Bless his heart, on Sunday he was a different dog. Ran earlier, was extremely happy and was moving along at a good clip when he realized there are soooo many people he didn't know and wanted to go introduce himself too. He doesn't get quite all the way to the fence but does gravitate in that general direction, not paying attention to me and putting himself on the other side of the jumps. Almost got him back when he say a member of the ring crew. Oh well. I would much rather have this dog than the painfully slow dog. He brings a smile to my face when he is that happy so really, it warms my heart and makes the day worthwhile. He's still young--won't turn two till next week, and I know I don't have the relationship in agility with him that I do with Riley as of yet. I hope it will come one day. He's ridicously smart (though you'd never know it from his goofy expressions) and very good at other venues but I haven't quite figured out what makes him tick yet. I'm bound and determined to try my hand at clicker-work with him. I've always been a little intimidated by the clicker but I've got renewed interest/motivation/tools, and a dog who is willing to explore out of the box so we'll give it a go. It can only build the partnership stronger, right?
So all in all, a fun weekend. Got to see friends I haven't seen for a bit, so another bonus!

1 comments:

lilmack3562 said...

Congrats! Sounds like a fun weekend. I do miss it, withdraw symptoms persist.... :cP